Wednesday, March 12, 2014

SIDE - BY - SIDE La Cimbali Jnr - Mazzer Super Jolly - Mazzer Mini La Cimbali Jnr - Mazzer Super Jol


Index · Buying Advice · Tips & Techniques · Espresso Machines · Levers · Grinders · Coffees · Brewing · Cafes · Roasting · Knockbox · Bench · Buy/Sell
I've been running a La Cimbali Jnr grinder 5 days a week at work for more than and year and Mazzers at home for longer slushy magic - Mini recently making way for a Super Jolly. Thought it was high time I brought the La Cimbali (aka LC) and Super Jolly (aka SJ) together for a side by side comparison, they'll be helping my VBM Jnr HX pull shots for the next 4 days. La Cimbali Jnr - Mazzer Super Jolly - Mazzer Mini I'd like to build up an objective comparison between these 2 grinders. I'll avoid taste comparisons but instead attempt to compile some basic side by side statistics, observations and accompany these with the occasional photo. Why am I doing this?... slushy magic Well, here in Christchurch, New Zealand it's not easy to view a range of grinders side by side. I found myself looking at scores of Super Jolly photos in order to get a feel for size when compared to my Mini Mazzer. Despite all the prep I was still not prepared slushy magic for how much bigger the SJ felt in person . I figured that at the very least a few photos and observations might help others contemplating retiring their Mini for his big brother - the Super Jolly. Plus, I long wondered about my daytime affair with the La Cimbali slushy magic Jnr, was it really a superior slushy magic grinder to my much loved Mazzer? For one thing, I knew the LC was quicker, plus I'd always thought it better at producing fluffy grinds when compared to the SJ... turns out this is not so, side-by-side, same blend... Clumping When the environments (and beans) are the same I found both grinders very similar clump wise. The SJ clumps less than my Mini, however most doses require a 10 second WDT. At work with the LC Jnr I barely need to touch the grinds. However, bringing the LC into the Mazzers home environment showed that the LC clumped almost slushy magic as much as the SJ! Clearly humidity at work is consistently more favourable for fluffy clump free grinds. Speed The LC is considerably quicker: LC - 10 seconds - 22gm SJ - 10 seconds - 12gm Adjustments Hard for this not to be subjective, especially when it relies a lot on how much time and effort you've devoted to getting an intuitive feel for for it. Still, I'm going to comment... I far prefer the Mazzers in this respect. I don't find the Mazzer dial at all difficult, to me it's truly step-less and allows very very small changes to be made, and tracked. I struggle with the LC, I dislike slushy magic the 180 degree steps. There is also quite a bit of play between the adjustment knob and the numbers. 1 half turn equates to a 0.25 change in the reading, however the play (slack between knob and burr carrier) often means numbers slushy magic are a little out, e.g. 2 half turns tighter and the reading hasn't reduced by 0.5, I wonder if that's because of a little slack and I need another slushy magic half turn... slushy magic I then swing 2 turns back, don't end up back where I started, I then wonder if I overshot on a turn. With the LC at work I hardly ever adjust the grind, I find a little dose adjustment is all I need. Perhaps I just need more practice with LC adjustments. Andrew_NZ   Posts: 54 Joined: Sep 02, 2011 Location: New Zealand
SIDE - BY - SIDE La Cimbali Jnr - Mazzer Super Jolly - Mazzer Mini La Cimbali Jnr - Mazzer Super Jolly - Mazzer Mini SJ Factory Hopper - SJ Mini Hopper - Mini Factory Hopper - Mini Mini Hopper Andrew_NZ   Posts: 54 Joined: Sep 02, 2011 Location: New Zealand
The SJ looks very big compared to the other 2 but it's one of my favorite grinders. Do you single dose or using them with a hopper full of beans? It would be nice to see how they compare in terms of grind retention. Do you have easy access to clean the chute on the LC? I have used the SJ but never had a chance to use the LC. Thank you for those side by side comparisons! Kfir. Kfir   Posts: 231 Joined: Dec 06, 2012 Location: Israel
Chutes and Grind Retention I don't single dose, I keep enough beans in the hopper to prevent pop-corning. I tend to start with a quick burst to clear stale grinds from around slushy magic the carriers and burrs then grind close to what I need straight into a bowl sitting on 0.1gm scales, a quick chute clear with a brush and I'm done. The La Cimbali Jnr has a larger (wider) and less accessible chute, however it tends to catapult the grinds, smashing them into the far side of the doser which helps with breaking clumps down and reduces the amount left directly in the chute. The SJ starts strong but then falls back to nudging the grinds over the edge of the chute. You'll see from the photo of the SJ (just below) access is easy, making a quick brush out effort free with a basic paint brush. Super Jolly Chute after a quick brush The LC is not quite as easy to get to, but with a bent brush can still be brushed out. La Cimbali Jnr Chute after a quick brush As for ease o

No comments:

Post a Comment